- From hating his job to finding his home.
- Risking awkward family holidays for his dream.
- There’s no such thing as a backup plan.
- The importance of brand and community.
- Bill Clinton? Oh no, he’s just Chris Farley the Running Store Guy.
Many people would love a database management job in a government office. Chris Farley hated it. He wanted to run. After finding an advertisement for runners to work part-time at Pacers, Farley began working there and felt that he’d found a long-term home. He bought the store that he’d been working in in June 2003, and has grown Pacers to six stores and 18 road races.
Time-Stamped Show Notes
- [05:10] Welcome and introduction to Chris Farley, owner of Pacers Running.
- [05:30] Getting started.
- [08:17] His passion for running.
- [09:15] Going all in.
- [12:23] The challenges of growing Pacers Running.
- [15:50] Building and connecting with the core community of runners.
- [18:37] Communicating with his audience.
- [19:47] Competing with large online companies.
- [23:14] Finding the perfect employees.
- [27:30] A great work culture translates to a happy customer experience.
- [28:45] Learning along the way.
- [30:00] Expanding the community through races.
- [32:16] It’s more than just a shoe business.
- [33:04] Help from James Carville.
- [34:55] You’re buying more than just shoes.
- [37:35] Why runners need the best equipment.
- [39:35] On the horizon for Pacers.
- [43:30] Upcoming events.
- [44:43] Contact information.